Discussion of the automobile-train-passenger ferryboat project for lines from port of Sochi and ports of Turkey
On 16.12.2013 a meeting of the working group on coordination, scientific, technical and organizational support of work on the implementation of the federal target program "Development of civil marine engineering for 2009-2016" took place in the Federal Agency of Maritime and River Transport. The meeting was held under the supervision of the Deputy Head of Rosmorrechflot Yuriy Kostin.
The concept of automobile-passenger ferry for the line from port of Sochi and ports of Turkey of CNF16A project was considered the third by MEB for transportation tourists with cars, as well as 50 cargo car trains with their drivers and accompanying cargo persons (up to 700 passengers).
Actually, unlike the first two cargo-passenger concepts (CNF08P and CNF16B) this project is, in fact, cargo-passenger one, oriented on tourists traveling on their cars. 600 seats are provided for such tourists, while the remaining 100 seats are for cargo car drivers and cargo attendants. Therefore, higher-speed vessel has more powerful engines, and certainly more comfortable.
In addition, she is made in such way that to provide operation not only of port of Sochi, but also of port of Caucasus, and in general of Ro-Pax lines of the Black Sea.
CNF16A vessel is a double-screw triple deck ferryboat of unrestricted sailing region, with bulbous fore end and transom aft end, with excess freeboard, with deck-house located fore, with engine room located aft, with diesel propulsion plant, with single stern thruster and two bow thrusters.
Ferryboat is able to transport tourists with passenger car (up to 470 cars), and also cargo car trains with 12.0/13.5 m semitrailer wagons and container platforms, different vehicles and containers on roll-trailers. Aft cargo handling scheme is foreseen. Transportation of not less than 50 car trains (55 t each) is provided on main, upper and lower decks. Dangerous cargoes can be arranged on the open part of the upper deck.
RS class notation is of KM AUT1-ICS OMBO Ro-ro passenger ship.
Ferryboat's main dimensions doesn't exceed the same parameters of model vessel "Color Fantasy" accepted for Sochi ro-ro terminal (that is under construction now) and vessel "Geroy Shipki" accepted for new ferry complex of Caucasus port (the third step of the port of Taman building). Ferryboat has summer freeboard draught less than model vessel (6.5 m versus 7.4 m).
Length overall is of 184.50 m;
Length between perpendiculars is of 169.30 m;
Breadth overall is of 26.40 m;
Breadth 26.00 m;
Depth (till main deck) 9.00 m;
Depth (till upper deck) 15.00 m;
Draught (due to Summer Free Board) is of 6.50 m.
These dimensions allow ferryboat to work at the main Black Sea ports, including Russian ports (Caucasus, Novorossiysk), Ukraine ports, Turkish ports (Istanbul, Samson, Trabson), Bulgarian ports (Burgas, Varna).
For placing total of 700 passengers a set of compartments are foreseen onboard, as follows:
• 10 enhanced single cabins;
• 24 enhanced double cabins (including cabin for disable people);
• 140 double cabins (converted into 4-person ones);
• 100 places for sitting in the two saloons;
• 350 places restaurant (two change meal period for passengers);
• galley with pantry;
• relaxation saloon with bar with game-playing machines;
• duty free shop;
• babies' playing room;
• conference hall;
• baggage store room;
• 5 public water closets;
• public water closet for disable people;
• 2 toilet rooms with shower for passengers with places at saloon (separately for men and women), plus additional water closet and shower.
Vessel is able to transport:
• 470 pcs. of passenger cars (including ones on the hanging platforms);
• 50 pcs. of cargo car trains with 12.0/13.5 m semitrailer wagons (55 t each).
Allowable load of wheeled vehicles on the axle is as follows:
• 12 t for 4 wheels on the axle;
• 10 t for 2 wheels on the axle.
Two aft ramps are foreseen for vehicles loading/unloading (to/from the main deck and to/from an inner ramp of the upper deck). Construction of all outer ramps (including passenger one) forms aft watertight closing when rumps are at voyage (closed) position. Automobile ramps are responsible for the loading similar to vehicles' loading on the main deck. Maximal ramps' divergence angle from horizon is from -10 till 5 degrees at ramps' working position.
Passenger capacity provides placing of car trains drivers up to 100 persons (50 car trains with 2 drivers each).
Vessel's crew (108 persons total) consists of 10 officers, 12 seamen and 86 service staff persons.
Cabins with natural lighting are foreseen for crewmembers arrangement onboard, as follows:
• 4 single module cabins for master, chief mate, chief engineer and service staff director; each module cabin consists of office, bedroom and toilet;
• 6 enhanced single cabins with toilet for officers;
• 12 single cabins with toilet for seamen;
• 46 double cabins with toilet for service staff (including 3 reserve cabins).
Also cabin for pilot and shipowner's cabin are foreseen.
All necessary compartments are prepared for crew and service staff, as follows:
• galley (common for crewmembers and passengers);
• crew relaxation saloon;
• crew dining room;
• provisions stores;
• drying room;
• iron room;
• work clothes room;
• public water closets;
• 2 saunas with shower (separately for men and women);
• inner swimming pool;
• 4 vessel's offices;
• outpatient clinic;
• 2-place hospital;
• 1-place isolation ward.
Cruising range is about 2000 miles (2 circle voyages for the most length line from the port of Sochi to the port of Isanbul).
Operational vessel's speed of 21 kn was accepted due to requirement that voyage duration should not exceed 24 hours: voyage Sochi - Istanbul is about 500 miles and should consume less 24 hours), voyage Sochi - Samsun is about 200 miles and should consume 10 hours), voyage Sochi - Trabson is about 160 miles and should consume 8 hours). Maximal vessel's speed should be of 24 kn due to providing voyage reserve time.
Power plant includes, as follows:
• main unit consisting of four diesel engines with maximal continuous capacity of 6000 kW each, working through two reduction gears towards 2 variable-pitch propellers;
• auxiliary unit consisting of two main diesel-generators (electrical capacity of 1500 kW each), two shaft generators (electrical capacity of 4000 kW each) and emergency diesel-generator (electrical capacity of 400 kW);
• auxiliary boiler plant consisting of 2 oil fired thermal heater with heat power of about 2000 kW each, 4 exhaust gas heaters with heat power of about 1500 kW each and one incinerator.
Heavy fuel oil IFO380 with viscosity 380 cSt at 50°C with flash point > 60°C is used.
Two fixed pitch propellers and two welded hanged rudders are arranged aft and provide vessel's requires speed and manoeuvrability. Vessel is equipped with two bow thrusters and single stern thruster of "screw within tube" type (FPP screw type) with capacity of 1200 kWt each. Bow thrusters are intended for enhancing manoeuvrability at low speeds when passing narrows and during mooring.
Ferryboat is equipped with two 150-persons lifeboats placed by sides, one high speed 15-persons duty boat (StB) and one 6-persons duty boat (PS). Also two marine evacuation systems (MES) with closed inflatable living raft and evacuation pipe for ensuring access to the raft are arranged by sides. Acceptance rate of the evacuation system is 734 persons per 30 minutes. Each evacuation system includes two 101-persons living self-recovering rafts (one on each side).
Additional two 101-persons living self-recovering rafts (one on each side) are foreseen also. Single dropped 6-persons living raft is arranged aft.
Embarkation to lifeboats and rafts (using MES) is performed from the muster stations on the upper deck PS & StB. Storm-ladders can be applied additionally for embarkation to lifeboats and rafts. The facility for lifting people from the water, served by launching system of duty boat, is foreseen.
The aft passenger ramp is used for passenger entering to the main deck (PS). Escalator is used for lifting to the upper deck (duplicated by ladder).
Runaway platform for helicopter reception (without permanent basing) is foreseen in the middle part of the vessel at the bridge level. Runaway platform is equipped according to ICAO requirements.
Central Research Maritime Fleet Institute carried out analyze of economic efficiency of CNF16A passenger-train-automobile ferryboat at two variants of work at lines, as follows:
• the port of Sochi (Russia) - the port of Trabzon (Turkey) -the port of Samsun (Turkey) - the port of Istanbul (Turkey) - the port of Sochi (Russia);
• the port of Sochi (Russia) - the port of Istanbul (Turkey) - the port of Sochi (Russia).
As a result of carried out modeling of marine ferryboats work from Black Sea ports at the set lines it is followed that CNF16A ferryboat should carry out:
in the variant N1: 1 circle voyage Sochi - Trabzon - Samsun- Istanbul - Sochi per week (due to the reducing of cruise voyages necessity in winter period);
in the variant N2: 2 voyages Sochi - Istanbul per week.
Results of operational and economic calculations of CNIIMF for CNF16B due to loading coefficients 0.9, 0.8 and 0.7 are as follows:
• work at lines Sochi - Trabzon - Samsun- Istanbul - Sochi has payback period of 7.0, 10.6 and 14.2 years correspondingly to variants of business loading;
• work at lines Sochi - Istanbul has payback period of 3.2, 4.4 and 5.5 years correspondingly to variants of business loading.