Discussion of the automobile-train-passenger ferryboat concept for voyages port of Caucasus - Turkish ports - Bulgarian ports
As previously reported, on 16.12.2013 a meeting of the working group on coordination, scientific, technical and organizational support of work on the implementation of the federal target program "Development of civil marine engineering for 2009-2016" took place in the Federal Agency of Maritime and River Transport. The meeting was held under the supervision of the Deputy Head of Rosmorrechflot Yuriy Kostin.
The concept of CNF16B automobile-passenger ferryboat with dimensions that correspond to the perspective region of the port of Caucasus (TPC - Taman ferry complex) was considered at the second order. This ferryboat is intended for lines port of Caucasus - Turkish ports - Bulgarian ports. CNF16B ferryboat (designed by Marine Engineering Bureau) is able to transport not less than 75 car trains together with drivers and cargo escort personnel, and also tourists with cars (total up to 200 passengers).
This concept is a double-screw triple deck ferryboat of unrestricted sailing region, with bulbous fore end and transom aft end, with excess freeboard, with deck-house located fore, with engine room located aft, with diesel propulsion plant, with single stern thruster and two bow thrusters.
Ferryboat is able to transport all kinds of automobiles, including cargo car trains with 12.0/13.5 m semitrailer wagons and container platforms, different vehicles and containers on roll-trailers, passengers. Aft cargo handling scheme is foreseen. Transportation of not less than 75 car trains (55 t each) is provided on main, upper and lower decks. Dangerous cargoes can be arranged on the open part of the upper deck. Hanging platform for passenger cars can be placed between upper and main decks.
RS class notation is of KM Ice1 AUT1-ICS OMBO Ro-ro passenger ship.
Ferryboat's main dimensions don't exceed the same parameters of model vessel ("Geroy Shipki" type) accepted for new ferry complex of Caucasus port (the third step of the port of Taman building). Ferryboat has summer freeboard draught less than model vessel (6.5 m versus 7.4 m).
CNF16B ferry boat main characteristics are, as follows:
Length overall is of 184.50 m;
Length between perpendiculars is of 169.30 m;
Breadth overall is of 26,40 m;
Breadth 26.00 m;
Depth (till main deck) 9.00 m;
Depth (till upper deck) 15.00 m;
Draught (due to Summer Free Board) is of 6.50 m.
These dimensions allow ferryboat to work at the main Black Sea Turkish ports (Istanbul, Samson, Trabson), Bulgarian ports (Burgas, Varna) and at Sochi ro-ro terminal (that is under construction now).
Vessel is able to transport:
• 75 pcs. of cargo car trains with 12.0/13.5 m semitrailer wagons (55 t each);
• 530 pcs. of passenger cars (including ones on the hanging platforms).
Allowable load of wheeled vehicles on the axle is as follows:
• 12 t for 4 wheels on the axle;
• 10 t for 2 wheels on the axle.
Two aft ramps are foreseen for vehicles loading/unloading (to/from the main deck and to/from an inner ramp of the upper deck). Construction of all outer ramps (including passenger one) forms aft watertight closing when rumps are at voyage (closed) position. Automobile ramps are responsible for the loading similar to vehicles' loading on the main deck. Maximal ramps' divergence angle from horizon is from -10 till 5 degrees ar ramps' working position.
Passenger capacity provides placing of car trains drivers up to 150 persons (75 car trains with 2 drivers each) and additionally 50 passenger places (cargo escort personnel, etc.).
For placing total of 200 passengers a set of compartments are foreseen onboard, as follows:
• 2 enhanced single cabins with water closet;
• 10 double cabins with water closet (including cabin for disable people);
• 32 double cabins (converted into 4-person ones) with water closet;
• 50 places for sitting in the saloon.
A set of compartments are foreseen for Passengers, as follows:
• galley with pantry;
• 104 places restaurant (two change meal period for passengers);
• relaxation saloon with bar;
• internet-cafe with game-playing machines;
• duty free shop;
• baggage store room;
• two public water closets;
• public water closet for disable people;
• toilet room with shower for passengers with places at saloon.
Vessel's crew consists of 8 officers, 10 seamen and 24 service staff persons.
Cruising range is about 2000 miles (2 circle voyages for the most length line from the port of Caucasus to the port of Burgas).
Operational vessel's speed of 20 kn was accepted due to requirement that voyage duration should not exceed 24 hours: voyage Caucasus - Burgas is about 450 miles and should consume 23 hours), voyage Caucasus - Varna is about 420 miles and should consume 21 hours), voyage Caucasus - Istanbul is about 430 miles and should consume 22 hours), voyage Caucasus - Samsun is about 250 miles and should consume 13 hours), voyage Caucasus - Trabson is about 300 miles and should consume 15 hours). Maximal vessel's speed is of 22 kn due to providing voyage reserve time.
Power plant includes, as follows:
• main unit consisting of four diesel engines with maximal continuous capacity of 4640 kW each, working through two reduction gears towards 2 variable-pitch propellers;
• auxiliary unit consisting of two main diesel-generators (electrical capacity of 1140 kW each), two shaft generators (electrical capacity of 3500 kW each) and emergency diesel-generator (electrical capacity of 250 kW).
Heavy fuel oil IFO380 with viscosity 380 cSt at 50°C with flash point > 60°C is used.
Two fixed pitch propellers and two welded hanged rudders are arranged aft and provide vessel's requires speed and manoeuvrability.
Vessel is equipped with two bow thrusters and single stern thruster of "screw within tube" type (FPP screw type) with capacity of 1400 kWt each. Bow thrusters are intended for enhancing manoeuvrability at low speeds when passing narrows and during mooring.
Ferryboat is equipped with two 40-persons lifeboats, one high speed 15-persons duty boat and one 6-persons duty boat. Also two marine evacuation systems with closed inflatable living raft and evacuation pipe for ensuring access to the raft are arranged by sides. Acceptance rate of the evacuation system is 582 person per 30 minutes. Each evacuation system includes one living self -recovering raft for 51 persons). Additional dropped 6-persons living raft is arranged aft.
Aft passenger ramp is used for passengers' entering onboard; it is located on the main deck PS. One may reach upper deck by using escalator (this way is duplicated by ladder).
Runaway platform for helicopter reception (without permanent basing) is foreseen in the middle part of the vessel at the bridge level. Runaway platform is equipped according to ICAO requirements.
Central Research Maritime Fleet Institute carried out analyze of economic efficiency of CNF16B passenger-train-automobile ferryboat in two variants at the set of lines, as follows:
1. The port of Caucasus (Russia) - the port of Varna (Bulgaria) - the port of Caucasus (Russia);
the port of Caucasus (Russia) - the port of Istanbul (Turkey) - the port of Caucasus (Russia).
2. The port of Caucasus (Russia) - the port of Samsun (Turkey) - the port of Caucasus (Russia);
the port of Caucasus (Russia) - the port of Trabson (Turkey) - the port of Caucasus (Russia).
As a result of carried out modeling of marine ferryboats work from Black Sea ports at the set lines it is followed that during operational period CNF16B ferryboat should effect, as follows:
• for the variant 1 there sould be 3 circle voyages per week, including 2 ones for direction Caucasus - Varna and single one for direction Caucasus - Istanbul;
• for the variant 2 there sould be 4 circle voyages per week, including 2 ones for direction Caucasus - Samsun and 2 ones for direction Caucasus - Trabson.
Using loading coefficients 1; 0.9; 0.8, results of operational-economical calculations for CNF16B ferryboat carried out by Central Research Maritime Fleet Institute are as follows:
• work at lines Caucasus - Varna and Caucasus - Istanbul should be characterized by payback period of 6.5; 8.0; 13.5 years correspondingly;
• work at lines Caucasus - Samsun and Caucasus - Trabson should be characterized by payback period of 4.3; 5.1; 7.5 years correspondingly.