Opening of memorial boards to T.B. Guzhenko and A.E. Danchenko at Odessa National Maritime University
On July, 24, 2009 solemn opening of memorial boards to outstanding graduates of the Odessa National Maritime University (ONMU, earlier Odessa Institute of Marine Engineers), namely Tymophey Borisovich Guzhenko and Alexey Evgenjevich Danchenko was carried out.
On the celebration the following persons made speeches, as follows: the rector of ONMU, Doctor of Economics professor Irina Morozova, Minister of Transport of Russian Federation Igor Levitin, former (1995-1998) Minister of Transport of Russian Federation Nikolay Tsakh, Deputy Head of Sea Administration of Ukraine Valery Sudarev and the Secretary of the Odessa city Council Aleksander Prokopenko.
Among present there were relatives and colleagues of Minister of a Marine Fleet of the USSR of T.B.Guzhenko (1918-2008) and the chief of Black Sea Shipping Company A.E. Danchenko (1904-1983), teachers and students from ONMU, graduates of University, representatives of the sea public of Ukraine and Russia, journalists.
Russian Federation delegation included Igor Levitin and Nikolay Tsakh together with Head of RF Federal Agency of Maritime and River Transport Alexander Davydenko, former Deputy Ministers of Marine Fleet of the USSR Jury Mihajlov, Vsevolod Beletsky, Gennady Gerasimchuk, Vitaly Zbarashchenko, a former member of Board Bronislav Majnagashev, chairman of the Moscow organization of polar explorers Herman Burkov, the editor-in-chief of magazine "Marine fleet" Leonid Grankov, the editor-in-chief of the newspaper "Sea News" Anatoly Kuznetsov and other colleagues.
On completing of solemn ceremony and memorial boards2 consecration by Father Vyacheslav guests headed by minister head visited aerodynamic laboratory of shipbuilding faculty, a machine hall of ship engineer faculty, university church Saint Alexandra, laid flowers to a monument to faculty members and students who have lost during Great Domestic war.
The friendly exchange of opinions and conversation of university representatives and maritime community with minister of transport of Russia Igor Levitin has taken place in a conference hall. Graduate of ONMU Mikhail Zhvanetskiy acted in the end of meeting at the request of meeting's members.
Sponsor of solemn action was Marine Engineering Bureau, its' most part of employees are graduates of ONMU.
T.B.Guzhenko and A.E.Danchenko's memorial boards were created by the known Odessa sculptor, the deserved artist of Ukraine Aleksey Kop'ev. He is an author of significant monumental works, such as a bas-relief on Kurgan glories (near factory "Tsentrolit"), a monument to "Defenders of Odessa " at Latovskiy cemeteries; a monument to the Hero of Soviet Union, to submariner A.I.Marinesko; a monument to the founder of the first Russian submarine S.K.Dzhevetskiy; monument T.G. Shevchenko in Belgorod - Dnestrovsk; a monument in honour of the 60-anniversary of clearing Odessa's region in village Vladychen; A.S.Pushkin's monument in Bolgrad and many other monuments.
The hero of Socialist Work Tymophey Borisovich Guzhenko in 1942 graduated with distinction from operational faculty of Institute of Internal Waterways Engineers that was in evacuation in Samarkand. In 1942-1949 he worked in Murmansk trading port where has received the first award from hands of known polar explorer I.Papanin. In 1951-1960 -his post was the chief of ports Holmsk and Khabarovsk, later he was a chief of the Sakhalin Sea Shipping Company. In 1966-1969 he was the first deputy minister, in 1970-1986 his post was minister of USSR Maritime Fleet Ministry.
While he was minister of maritime fleet of USSR sea transport became one of leading branches of a national economy of the country. There were over 1800 vessels with summarized cargo-lifting capacity of 22,3 million tons, 70 seaports were equipped with the modern reloading equipment, 30 ship-repair yards and 17 bases of fleet maintenance service in structure of transport fleet. Training of the engineering staff and regular improvement of professional skill were carried out in 6 academies and 15 high sea educational institutions. JSC "Sovkomphlot" successfully worked. Ministry of sea fleet had 25 joint-stock mixed companies for effective competitive struggle in world market.
T.B.Guzhenko was deservedly named Minister of an epoch of "Golden Age" of maritime fleet of the USSR.
The hero of Socialist Work Alexey Evgenjevich Danchenko in 1934 finished evening branch of the Odessa maritime technical school, then he sailed as a captain of vessels of Black and Azov Seas Shipping Company. During Wold War II he was the commander of sea transportations of the Black Sea fleet, then he was a commander of general headquarters of navy fleet. He took part in fighting operations in Sevastopol, Novorossisk, Kerch.
In 1945 he was assigned as head of the Odessa seaport and reestablished it from ruins. In 1953 Alexey Evgenjevich graduated in absentia from operational faculty of Odessa Institute of Marine Engineers and headed Head Department of Maritime Fleet Ministry.
In 1956. A.E.Danchenko was assigned as the head of the Black Sea Shipping Company (BSSC) which included all Black and Azov Seas fleet (about 600 vessels and 18 ports). In 1967 three new shipping companies (Azov, Novorossiysk and Batumi) have been created in addition on base of BSSC.
In December, 1957 building of the fourth cargo area of the Odessa port was started because of initiative and supervision of Aleksey Evgenjevich. This area was increased up to Ilyichevsk sea trading port in conditions of constant care of A.E. Danchenko.
New bright initiative was shown soon. In February, 1975 building of sea trading port Yuzhniy was started by the order towards BSSC, then there were serious organizational efforts toward creation Belgorod - Dnestrovskiy trading port.
The most powerful port complex that consisted of four modern seaports is a great memory of the brilliant founder and the outstanding head of Black Sea maritime trading and transport complex.
For reference: a history of the Odessa National Maritime University (ONMU) (earlier the Odessa Institute of Maritime Fleet Engineers (OIMFE), earlier the Odessa Institute of Internal Waterways Engineers (OIIWE)).
Rapid requirements' development of a maritime fleet of Soviet Union in prewar years caused creation in Odessa in 1930 high maritime educational institution which could prepare experts for a marine fleet. It name was the Odessa Institute of Internal Waterways Engineers.
The shipbuilding faculty (existed since 1918 in structure of the Odessa Polytechnic Institute) has been included in this institute and operational, water engineering, ship engineering and economic faculties, and a little bit later navigation one were newly organized.
From the very beginning many known experts and teachers-professors who not only have issued generations of excellent experts of a marine sea fleet worked at institute, but also the hydromechanics, theoretical mechanics, etc. have enriched a science fundamental and scientific-practical works in a wide spectrum of directions, such as designing of vessels, vessels' strength, the theory of the ship, engine design.
During pre-war time for maintenance of educational process it has been created more than 20 laboratories and educational rooms. By 1934 the building of towing tanks has been finished.
During Wordl War II OIIWE has been evacuated to Samarkand, and then (in 1943) to Astrakhan. Despite of heavy times, institute continued to work, being engaged in preparation of experts necessary for the country. Many of employees fought for Motherland protecting. Among them there is known Soviet intelligence agent Nikolay Geft who was lost during battles for Poland in 1944. Five OIIWE graduates have been awarded with a rank of the Hero of Soviet Union.
After Odessa liberation by the end of 1944 OIIWE has been returned in native walls. In 1945 the structure of institute has been changed. The faculty of port mechanization (which known humorist Michael Zhvanetsky was graduated from) was open, and navigation faculty together with students and letures has been transferred to Leningrad to the newly created high navigation school.
The institute began to refer to as the O Odessa Institute of Maritime Fleet Engineers (OIMFE). Under this name it has strongly come in a post-war history of country development, being in essence the unique higher educational institution preparing "coastal" experts of various directions for Maritime Ministry system.
In post-war years the educational and scientific base of institute has been restored and increased. As well as earlier, the institute provided high quality of knowledge received by students. Output of institute in 60-80 years of the last century made about 500 students in a year.
During his history OIMFE has prepared more than 40 thousand experts for the Soviet Union and 50 countries of Europe, Asia, Africa and Latin America.
Nowadays in ONMU about 5 thousand students of 12 specialities are educated .
Till now graduates of institute can be met on supervising posts not only sea, but also in other spheres of economic activities of Russia, Ukraine, Azerbaijan, Cuba, Vietnam, Algeria and other countries.
Today at 7 basic faculties and 34 departments over 400 lectures and scientific employees are worked, including more than 60 doctors of science, professors and 210 philosophy doctors, senior lecturers. Departments are located in three educational èãøäâøòïû, the general area of 54 thousand sq.m. There are 50 laboratories, including unique towing tank, aerodynamic laboratory, a machine hall with working ship power engines. More than 600 modern computers are incorporated into a local network with connection to the Internet.