Baku Shipyard continues construction of CNF18C railway-car-passenger ferry boats and RST12C oil tankers
Baku Shipyard by order of "Azerbaijan Caspian Shipping Company" continues construction of CNF18C railway-car-passengers ferryboat for Caspian Sea lines and RST12C oil tanker of new generation.
The construction of the CNF18C ferryboat for the Caspian Sea lines has started on March 16, 2017 (blocks of the main ship's hull are in the first photo on the right, as well as on the third photo); the RST12C tanker construction was started on September 26, 2017 (the blocks of the hull of the main ship are in the first photo as on the left, and also in the second photo).
Two CNF18C railway-car-passengers ferryboats and two RST12C tankers for Caspian Sea Lines has been ordered, 2 more orders are considered.
CNF18C and RST12C projects are designed by Marine Engineering Bureau.
New 'open type" CNF18C ferryboat is assigned for transportation of 56 railway wagons with 1520 mm track breadth and motor trucks (50 car trains), including ones with dangerous goods and passengers (estimation of 2 passengers for each car train). Ferryboat's construction foresees aft cargo handling scheme and is equipped with side ramp for loading/unloading vehicles from/to usual berth.
CNF18C vessel is able for dangerous cargo transportation on the open upper deck in accordance with International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code (IMDG Code) and national Maritime Dangerous Goods Transportation Regulation (MOPOG Rules).
Advantages of the new CNF18C ferryboat comparing with existing ones:
• general capacity for T-1 railway wagons (length between coupling gauges of 12020 mm) is 56 units (not more than 54 at existing vessels);
• rails are placed below deck lever;
• open deck accelerates and facilitates loading/unloading processes and also positively influences onto shipping safety;
• availability of the side ramp for loading/unloading vehicles onto berths provides work not only at usual railway berths but also at ordinary dry cargo berths of sufficient length;
• cargo hold's height (5400 mm) allows to transport high wagons in the holds (existing ferryboats have hold of 5000 mm height);
• cargo elevator's length of 25 m provides two railway tracks loading/unloading of railway wagons and Ro-Ro cargoes of 188 t total weight from upper deck to lower one, including 11-935A platforms of 19620 mm length with 3 TEU (existing ferryboats have cargo elevator of 14540 mm length and 170 t lifting capacity);
• 100 passengers may be placed and transported onboard the vessel. Simultaneously transportation of passengers and dangerous cargoes is foreseen according to dangerous goods transportation regulations.
In general CNF18C ferryboat is automobile-railway-passenger one with bulbous fore end and transom aft end, with excess freeboard, with deck-house located fore, with engine room located aft, with twin-screw diesel propulsion plant, with stern and bow thrusters, with two cargo decks.
Vessel's capacity for T-1 railway wagons with length between coupling gauges of 12020 mm (4 axes) is 56 units; for length between coupling gauges of 13920 mm (4 axes) is 46 units; for length between coupling gauges of 14730 mm (4 axes) is 44 units. Total tracking length is 688 m.
Vessel's capacity for trucks with semitrailers (total length 12.0-13.5 m) is 50 car trains. Linear dimension is 900 m.
The upper deck is designed for transportation of wagons or tank wagons of 94 t on any railway lines.
Permissible load of wheeled vehicles on the axle is as follows: 12 t for 4 wheels on the axle; 10 t for 2 wheels on the axle.
Cargo elevator for two railway tracks with capacity of 188 t (25 m length) is foreseen for loading/unloading railway wagons and Ro-Ro cargoes from upper deck to lower deck.
Cabins are foreseen for passengers' arrangement, as follows: 2 enhanced double cabins with toilet and 24 double cabins (converted into 4-places ones) with toilet.
Set of compartments are foreseen for passengers, as follows: duty-free shop, interne cafe, game-playing machines saloon with bar, 50 places restaurant, smoking-room; medical rooms (medical block) which include physician room / outpatient clinic, single-place hospital and single-place isolation ward.
Range of sailing is 2500 miles. Vessel's autonomy is: 10 day due to fuel and lub. oils reserve (for running regime). Fresh water/provision autonomy is 5 days.
Power plant consists of:
• main unit which includes two diesel engines of 2600 kW maximal continuous rate each at 1000 r.p.m; engines rotate 2 FPP (right and left ones) through reverse-reduction gears;
• auxiliary unit which includes four diesels generators of 300 KW electric output and single emergency diesels generator of 300 KW electric output.
Vessel's speed is not less than 14 kn at 85% of ME output.
The following fuel oil are used: HFO IFO380 with viscosity 380 cSt at 50°C for ME and boiler; MDO with flash point > 60°C for all diesel-generators.
Bow and stern thrusters of "screw in a tube" type with FPP are foreseen for increasing of low speed controllability during passing narrows and during mooring. Driving power of thruster is 350 KW, propellers' diameter is 1090 mm.
Two marine evacuation systems (MES) with closed inflatable living raft and evacuation pipe for ensuring access to the raft are arranged by sides. Accepted evacuation rate is 582 people per 30 minutes.
New RST12C tanker has a boosted "Caspian" function:
• 7914 t deadweight at draught 4.50 m, 8009 t deadweight at maximum draught of 4.54 m (RST27 prj. has 7030 tons), increase is 979 t;
• 5580 t deadweight during transit through the Volga-Don Shipping Canal while draught is 3.60 m 5580 tons (RST27 prj. has 5428 tons), increase is 152 tons;
• 7203 t deadweight at draught of 4.20 m (RST27 prj. has 7030 tons), increase is 173 tons;
• cargo tanks capacity provides transportation of Caspian region oil.
Russian Maritime Register of Shipping class notation is KM Ice1 R2-RSN(4.5) AUT1-ICS VCS ECO-S OMBO Oil tanker/Chemical tanker type 2 (ESP).
Comparative characteristics of tankers prj. RST27 and RST12C are given in the table below.
||KM Ice1 R2 AUT1-ICS OMBO VCS ECO-S Oil tanker (ESP)
||KM Ice1 R2-RSN(4.5) AUT1-ICS VCS ECO-S OMBO Oil tanker/Chemical tanker type 2 (ESP)
|Length overall, m
|Length between PP, m L, m
|Breadth B, m
|Depth, H, m
|Trunk's height htr, m
|Cubic number LBH, m³
|Maximal height to the upper edge of unmovable part from BL, m
|Draught (Summer Freeboard) in sea, dM / in river dP, m
||4.20 / 3.60
||4.54 / 3.60
|Deadweight Dwt at
dm / d=4.5 m (in sea) /
d = 3.6 m (in river), t
|7030 / - / 5428
||8009 / 7914 / 5580
in sea / in river, days
|20 / 12
|Speed in sea
(100% of ME output), knots
|Range, nautical miles
|Cargo tanks' capacity, m³
|Number of holds
||6 + 2 slop
|Height of 3%-probability permissible wave, m
|ME power and type
||2 x 1200 kW, Wartsila 6L20
|Rudder and propellers complex
||2 x Rudderpropellers "Schottel" SRP-1012FP
|Auxiliary DG / Emergency DG, kW
||3 x 292 / 136
||3 x 350 / 150
|Auxiliary steam-boiler /
exhaust gas steam-boiler, t/h
|2 x 2.5 / 2 x 2.0
||2 x 0.3 / 2 x 0.37
|Main fuel type
|Crew / berth, pers.
||12 / 14 +pilot
||11 / 14 +pilot
Like the other mixed river-sea tankers of the Marine Engineering Bureau, the RST12C vessels use full turned rudder propeller as a single control/movement mean, has a developed trunk, uses submersible pumps; there are no CL longitudinal bulkhead and framing within cargo tanks.
RST12C vessels satisfy to the dimensions of the Volga-Don Shipping Canal and the Volga-Baltic Way. The overall length is 141.00 m, width is 16.9 m, depth is 6.0 m, trunk height is 1.75 m. RST12C vessels are of tankers "Volga-Don Max" class.
While designing it was taken into account the special requirements of Russian and world oil companies, additional environmental restrictions of the Russian Maritime Register of Shipping "ECO PROJECT" (ECO-S) class.
RST12C vessel is designed for transportation of crude oil and oil products with density of up to 1.015 t/m³, including gasoline, without restriction on the flash point, ensuring the carriage of goods with a temperature of 50°C, as well as chemical cargoes:
Ethyl tert-butyl ether;
Methyl tert-butyl ether;
Calcium lignosulphonate solution;
Hexane (all isomers);
Octanol (all isomers);
Sodium hydroxide solution;
Urea/ammonium nitrate solution;
The capacity of six cargo tanks and two slop tanks is 9190 m³, marine deadweight is 7875 t while draught is 4.54 m, river deadweight is with 5447 t, operational speed is 10.0 kn.
The cargo system is designed for simultaneous transportation of two types of cargo, cargo pumps are 6 x 200 m³/h. Two auxiliary steam boilers of 2.5 t/h capacity are installed.
Two medium-speed diesels (main engines) of 1200 kW each use heavy fuel oil with viscosity IFO380. There is 230 kW bow thruster.
Electrical plant consists of three 350 kW diesel-generators and emergency-staying 150 kW diesel-generator.
Crew consists of 11 persons (14 places + pilot).
Autonomy (marine/river) is 20/12 days.